What are real hardwood floors made out of? How are they made? As you consider flooring options, you might wonder about the process of manufacturing wood floors. Explore this guide for answers to some of the most frequently asked questions.
What Are Most Hardwood Floors Made Of?
Some hardwood floors are made from slabs of wood from one species of tree. Engineered hardwood, on the other hand, is made from thin plywood, with a top layer of hardwood to create a beautiful appearance.
To understand how hardwood planks are made, it’s important to consider the difference between hardwood and softwood. Hardwood floors come from trees that lose their leaves every year. This wood is denser. The types of trees that produce hardwood include oak, maple and walnut.
Softwood comes from trees that are evergreen, including pine. This wood is lighter, more flexible and more cost-effective than hardwood.
How Are Hardwood Planks Made?
Every flooring manufacturer has a different process, but most hardwood floor planks are made by following these steps:
- A tree is cut down into logs, and logs with a tight grain and few knots are chosen for further processing.
- The logs are sent for cutting, which can be done through the quarter sawn method, the rift sawn method or the plain sawn method.
- The cut wood is examined again for quality, and the planks that meet the standards for flooring are leveled to create a smooth surface.
- Tongues and grooves are cut into the edge of every plank to make the flooring easier to install.
- The planks go through a distressing process or undergo painting or staining to create the desired look.
- The planks have sealant or a protective coating applied to make them more durable.
- The final products are shipped to suppliers and eventually to your site for installation.
Contact District Floor Depot Today
Enjoy the beauty and years of use that come from beautiful wood floors with District Floor Depot. We’re a one-stop shop for all your flooring needs. During a free consultation, our team can help you find beautiful flooring that’s perfect for you. Plus, we take care of installation and can even refinish existing floors.
We also care about your budget. That’s why we offer industry-leading itemized proposals that provide full transparency about labor and flooring costs.
Check out our natural hardwood floors today to get inspired for your next project.